Monday, January 15, 2007

A case for fascism?

The Romans invented fascism. A bundle of bound twigs was its symbol.

One twig could be broken. A bundle would prevail. Fascism ... strength in unity.

I believe in strength. I believe in unity.

And if that strength, that unity of purpose, demands a uniformity of thought, word and deed then so be it.

I will not hear talk of freedom. I will not hear talk of individual liberty. They are luxuries.


--From Chapter Five of V for Vendetta (Roman numerals, get it?). I actually prefer the film. Who has time for 296 pages of graphic novel?


This passage is a finer case for fascism than I could ever do, even if I was playing the devil's advocate. But let me try to play anyway, to append my own sentence or two:

Proponents for freedom will contest that individual rights of life and property are ours by our very nature, that all liberties are permitted except those which deprive another man of what is his by right: life and property. But man's lot in nature is nasty, brutish and short, is striken by poverty and illness. There is no life or property to be had in nature, outside of the city walls. A man keeps only what he can defend from force with force.

Stepping inside the city walls, the man can find all manner of luxuries not available before: food, drink, music, art, leisure time, easy work. Also long life and property, preserved without need of force. But in an emergency, the first sacrifices are the luxuries.

No comments: