Saturday, January 20, 2007

Why aren't professors religious?

Lifted straight from Marginal Revolution, with respect.

Read Tyler Cowen's full dispatch. Frankly, I disagree. I think the key is simple: another answer. Universities are built to challenge us for another answer. God is an answer I have already heard, they say. So do not answer "God." Give me another answer.

Ironic but fitting, then, that (Professor) Cowen outthinks the question with his post.

Of course my favorite metaphysical question is: Why is there something instead of nothing? But this one is used up: no one will answer it anymore. So try this one: How else does the Christian bible so accurately predict the history of the Jews?

Hat tip and stately bow to Ray for the slick new site design.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I have to take issue with your conclusion, Fred. If academics were just looking for another answer, they would have to keep reinventing themselves. That's inefficient. They are looking for the best answer. Even so, I have yet to see a refutation of Pascal's wager that can hold water, much less walk on it.

Fred said...

Ward Churchill.