Tuesday, March 20, 2007

Will designing babies make racism obsolete?

A fantastic question, one that I wish I had thought of. I found it here (not a permalink.)

Of course the answer is no. Racism is a matter of the human soul, not of the human skin. Besides, as I tried to convince my wife last night, designing blond haired, blue eyed children will make them blonder and bluer, while black haired, brown skinned, brown eyed kids will become blacker and browner. Designing babies by definition strives to underscore our differences, not look beyond them. Racism will more than likely worsen.

(By the way this is not a call for tighter regulation.)

For more on genetic and hormonal baby design, read on Albert Mohler's withering takedown of, well ... on his withering takedown of Albert Mohler here.

No comments: