Thursday, March 15, 2007

Word of the day: "pescatarian"

Without looking it up first, I can only assume a pescatarian is a vegan who has added fish to his diet. I found the word here, at Marginal Revolution.

To rice, or not to rice? That is the question early in that comments thread. My wife and I traversed much of Madagascar in December 2000, and found the people to be strong, lean, and happy. And there were rice fields absolutely everywhere. Suffice to say that the rice is not exported, it is consumed domestically, but the people are not overweight. Why?

The carbophobe will reply that the Malagasy people are very poor, and therefore cannot afford to consume a glut of calories. But that is precisely my point. The problem in the west is not necessarily an excess of rice, an excess of bread, an excess of potatoes. The problem in the west is excess.

My restaurant will serve rice, but as dessert, with cinnamon and milk.

No comments: