Wednesday, February 7, 2007

I get letters

Previously I posted this letter, which I also sent to John Cornyn, U.S. Senator from Texas.

The letter earned me this reply:

Thank you for contacting me about the challenges facing America's agricultural producers. I appreciate having the benefit of your comments on this important matter.

Agriculture is vital to the Texas economy; one in five jobs in our state is related to the agriculture industry. However, countless Texas producers are struggling to survive because of extreme weather conditions, unfair trade practices by foreign countries, and burdensome tax and environmental regulations.

Over the past decades, Congress has taken steps to temper financial hardships and maintain agricultural income through federal assistance. Five years ago, President George W. Bush signed into law the Farm Security and Rural Investment Act of 2002 (P.L. 107 - 171). This law authorizes funding for most agricultural commodity programs through Fiscal Year 2007. However, I believe more needs to be done to promote a stable and lasting environment in which farmers and ranchers can prosper for generations to come.

Although I am not a member of the Senate Committee on Agriculture, Nutrition, and Forestry, I understand the needs of Texas farmers and ranchers, and I will keep your views in mind as relevant legislation is considered by the full Senate.

I appreciate having the opportunity to represent the interests of Texans in the United States Senate. Thank you for taking the time to contact me.

No comments: