Thursday, February 8, 2007

It's not an über

Yesterday a friend wrote to me, of over-doing it while running:

Every so often, I'd have blood in my urine. Keep in mind that heavy training back in the day meant 70 to 100 miles per week. This symptom is common for marathoners and nothing to be too concerned about, although it should be checked out.

"Should be checked out?" If I ever saw blood in my urine I’d promptly black out. So if the condition of my kidneys wasn’t of medical interest, the concussion I received when I fell certainly would be, so, yes, there’d be a trip to the whitecoats either way.

My overtraining symptoms are anxiety and flu-like symptoms, both of which take several days to pass. If any runners are passing through, leave your own overtraining anecdotes inthe comments section.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I didn't believe what your friend wrote to you about runners having bloody urine, so I googled it. Turns out your friend was right.

Anonymous said...

Every once in a while I get the urge to put on my running shoes, go outside and just start running. (Run Forrest!) But, I find that if I lie down and drink a beer it usually goes away in ten minutes or so.